Best Snowmobile Goggles in 2019: Every Type of Goggles that You Need
Snowmobiling is a very popular sport among many people living in cold regions and snow-prone areas. With a huge number of people riding their snowmobiles, it is important to understand the need for proper equipment that is required while riding.
The equipment always depends on the type of riding that people do, but a few of them are an absolute necessity.
Snowmobile Goggles are one among them and require a little caution to be exercised before buying to get the best and comfortable fit.
Let us look at the factors that need to be considered in this article.
Things to consider before buying snowmobile goggles
There are a variety of things to consider before buying the perfect snowmobile goggles for yourself or your loved ones. The most important aspects are listed below.
It is very important to buy the correct size of snowmobile goggles as they need to fit comfortably on the face of the rider.
The function of the goggles is not only to protect the eyes from varying light conditions but also to protect the face from harsh weather conditions like snow, winds, etc.
Thus, getting the correct frame size, with the perfect fit, based on the size of the head will ensure better protection. Women and children have specifically tailored smaller fits to provide the best protection.
Fit with helmet
The other important thing to consider while getting the right size of goggles is to check whether the frame is compatible with the helmet worn by the rider.
If the helmet leaves openings when wearing the goggles, it can lead to freezing or sunburnt forehead. It is also not so fashionable to wear incompatible helmets and goggles.
So, choose the goggles from the same manufacturer of the helmet you use for better compatibility. Choosing the same manufacturer also aids in better ventilation, as the goggles and helmet are designed to act as a single unit while riding.
The material used for making the goggles, especially the straps, must be extremely durable for ensuring a good life for the goggles.
The industry standard defines the use of wide straps with silicone bands for providing proper grip on the helmet. The foam used for the frame must also be soft and comfortable to wear.
The use of multi-density foam is common as they provide better comfort than single density foam. Some people require custom made goggle frames made with hypoallergenic foams.
Preventing the goggles from getting fogged is very important. When the outside temperature drops, the air inside the goggles is at a higher temperature and starts to condense causing impaired vision during riding.
There are many types of antifogging techniques used by manufacturers. Some of them include coating the lens with anti-fog solutions and using double lenses with vacuum conditions between the lenses.
The use of small battery-operated fans inside the goggles frame to increase air circulation is another method that is under research for better anti-fogging tech.
Heated lenses are the latest invention in snowmobile goggles. The design uses a thin heating element that is built into the frame of the goggles.
The heating element heats the air column between the lenses to keep it warmer than the dew point. This ensures the prevention of fog on the goggles even during long rides.
When using it for long trips in the backcountry, the goggles can still be used by making use of the burst mode which heats the lens quickly to prevent fog only when required.
UV Protection and Polarization
The use of tinted lens is the best way to protect against UV rays during snowmobiling. This is due to the reflection of the light by snow patches that can cause glare during riding and can cause snow blindness.
Almost all modern lenses offer 100% UV protection but it is advised to use different lenses for different conditions. Using polarized lenses can reduce the glare greatly and reduce the eye fatigue of the rider. But polarization can affect the rider’s ability to differentiate between ice and soft snow.
Lighting and Weather
It is best to use a light tinted lens or clear lens for night riding and during stormy weather to get the best visual conditions.
For bright days with too much reflection from snow, it is better to use dark tinted lenses as they provide the best contrast and depth perception.
For flat light conditions, it is good to use light-colored tints backed with darker tints and they can also be used for a wide range of conditions.
Making use of photochromatic lenses instead of buying interchangeable lenses with various tints for use is better.
Photochromatic lenses adjust the density of the tint based on the lighting conditions present outside and thus can be used anytime.
This can aid in providing better comfort to the rider as weather conditions and lighting are not predictable and can change anytime.
Goggles over glasses
For people with vision problems and the need to wear spectacles, there is a range of over the glasses frames for snowmobile goggles that can be used.
These frames have larger sized lenses that allow the user to wear glasses inside and make use of spherical lenses to reduce distortion due to the interference of goggles’ and spectacles’ lenses.
The price of the goggles is decided by a variety of factors. The features the goggles provide is the major factor that decides the price.
For buying goggles that make use of the latest technology to prevent fogging, the cost will be high and on the other hand, choosing a simple goggle with the anti-fog coating is cheaper. The cost of the goggle also depends on the manufacturer.
Buying goggles with interchangeable lenses is cheaper when compared to buying one fitted with a photochromatic lens.
Buying ones with custom made goggle frames with better foams can also cost more than usual. So, decide on the features that you require in the goggles to get a better estimate of the price range.
Best Snowmobile Goggles
Juli Ski Goggles OTG
The first reason for people to choose the Juli ski goggles is it’s very sleek and frameless design. It also looks very stylish to wear. The lens of these goggles is made in such a way that it reduces fogging.
The most important thing about snowmobiling goggles is that the rider needs to be able to see what is in front clearly. This model offers an excellent and clear view.
The lens on the goggles is replaceable and you can change them if you want a better look. These glasses also come in many different colors. The user can choose any color that suits them and their environment.
It also has durable and extra-long straps and is compatible with most helmets. You can also wear it with the prescribed specs if you are wearing one. They also offer a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can return it and get the money back if not satisfied with it.
- The vision with this googles is very clear and hence is very comfortable and is preferred by a lot of people.
- It has a very long and adjustable strap.
- You can wear it with a helmet.
- Both the lens and the strap are detachable from the goggles.
- It protects your eyes from UV400 rays.
- It is a good fit for men, women and also young people.
- Customers feel that they get scratched very easily.
- The strap tightening is not good enough.
- It fogs up quite easily and can get disturbing sometimes.
Oakley O-Frame Graphic Frame MX Goggles
These lenses are black and are designed using cutting-edge technology. It is very versatile and gives a very clear vision. There are 3 different lenses and you can choose whichever suits you enough. It has a silicone lining and hence it can fit perfectly.
The other common problem with goggles is that it gets scratched easily. The Oakley O-frame goggles are made in a way that the lenses are protected from scratches by an anti-scratch coating.
The anti-fog in this system makes sure you can see even in high humid environments. It can give a maximised peripheral view. This is a triple layer foam fleece to wick away sweat.
The lens is made in such a way that it offers a good peripheral vision. It weighs only 3.52 ounces. The strap is very long and can very easily be adjusted and can fit around your head.
The frame is big enough to fit the spectacles under it. It is very durable and can last for a very long time. It can be worn by both amateurs and professional snowmobilers.
- This gives a very clear view and is also resistant to fog. You can use it in any type of climate.
- The strap is adjustable and hence anybody will be able to get a tight it.
- It has an extended lens size and hence provides a better view of the surroundings.
- The lenses come in many colors.
- It has a triple-layer face foam.
- The price of this is very high compared to other goggles of the same quality.
- This is not a perfect fit for anyone and this has been a very big disadvantage.
- It starts fogging up when facing the light.
Smith Optics I/OS
These are in 3 different sizes, which are, small, medium and large. The lens types are spiral and are imbibed with anti-fog technologies. The lens is interchangeable and can be very easily changed whenever required.
It is also compatible with helmets from many manufacturers. It has an ultra-wide, silicone backed strap and hence, it can be very convenient. The manufacturer provides a lifetime warranty with this product.
These come out in many different colors like a red mirror, green mirror, sun black and a lot more. This is designed to suit and fit smaller faces, so it a good choice for women and children.
- It has amazing contrast and is also made of ChromePop spherical lens.
- These goggles have a high-level anti-fog technology and hence is suitable for snowmobiling.
- These come in various sizes and hence people with small faces or large faces can wear it comfortably.
- It has 100% protection from UVA, UVB and UVC rays and hence is safe for your eyes.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.
- The lens change system is not very fast. It is very good but people seem to have issues with the speed of lens changing.
- It has a lot of high-end features and hence is very expensive.
Copozz Ski Goggles
This is yet another very high-quality goggle which is known for the ease with which the lens can be interchanged. This is because it has 10 pairs of strong magnets, properly placed around the goggle.
If you are going to change the lens according to the light, then this will not take any time. This has an imported mirror coating which gives it an anti-fog element and a unique finish.
The lens also keeps your eyes protected from UV and helps reduce glare from snow blindness. It is possible to wear this over your spectacles. This is also compatible with most types of modern snowmobiling helmets.
The elastic strap in this model is extra wide and long and adjustable to a wide size range. It also has silicone anti-slip strips on the back. These are extremely user-friendly.
- The main reason for people leaning towards this goggles is the customer service provided.
- It has a triple-layer high-density sponge and hence, the person wearing it will feel soft and even more comfortable.
- The anti-fogging coating can reduce the formation of fog.
- It is made using the latest technology and can be very comfortable to the rider by reducing the eye fatigue.
- It gives a very good peripheral view and has very good venting system which provides good airflow.
- It has very good reviews from the users.
- Suitable for men, women, and children.
- Some customers complain that there is too much air flowing inside. This is bad especially while ripping down the slopes.
- Some people feel unsafe about the lens being held by magnets.
Zionor Lagopus X Mini Kids Goggles
The Zionor Lagopus is one of the most steady goggles and is designed especially for kids. It feels very comfortable and fits perfectly like they are molded to your face. It can hence also keep you warm and make sure the snow or ice does not get into the goggles. These goggles have a double lens that is panoramic. It is very safe for children as they play any sport including snowmobile.
The goggles are scratch-resistant and come with a frameless design. It also has the anti-fog tech. The strap and the lens are detachable. It is very easy to clean the lenses. The manufacturer provides a one year warranty and is very customer friendly.
- It is very comfortable for kids as it fits perfectly.
- There are no chances of fog formation as the anti-fog technology used in the model is very good.
- It is good for all types of lights.
- It is compatible with most helmets and can be worn easily.
- It is very small and people with a broad face will not be able to wear it properly.
- It is not polarized properly.
- This scratched quite easily.
Oakley A-Frame Snow Goggle
The Oakley A-frame snow goggles weigh around 10.4 pounds and are very authentic. The main aim while manufacturing these goggles was to provide people who do snow sport with the best eye protection and clear vision.
This is a framed goggle but it still looks cool when worn. It also fits small faces perfectly and is also good for adults. It has a spherical lens and only one lens is provided with the goggle.
It is quite durable and is not very expensive. It works good with a helmet and also with spectacles. The lens contains anti-fog and anti-scratch coatings. The quality of the goggles is very commendable. The replacement lenses for these goggles are found in many colors and it is also easy to change the lens.
- It protects your eyes from all kinds of harmful rays like blue light, UV rays and so on.
- It is very easy to change the lens and replacement lens are available in many colors.
- The view these goggles provide is very wide.
- The frame is very soft and comfortable to wear.
- The quality of the lens is very good and can be worn for a variety of lighting conditions.
- It is very durable and can last for a very long time.
- It is not a good fit for people with big faces.
- The airflow is too much and makes the rider a little uncomfortable.
- It does not look very stylish compared to other goggles.
- Does not suit all helmets. Only a few of them go with these goggles.
Buying the right goggles for snowmobiling is very important. Getting the perfect fit is too, but goggles nowadays come in a variety of sizes and colors that fit almost everyone.
Buy a goggle that fits perfectly and also looks stylish and is compatible with the helmet. Getting a goggle with proper antifog and photochromatic lens can help save a lot of money in the long run and is a very good investment for an avid snowmobile rider. Buy one with a nose guard for better protection.
In the end, choose one that is best looking and also considers all the above-mentioned factors before buying to get the best deals.